After a long day at work and the last thing I want to do sometimes is cook. I also don’t always want to eat oatmeal for dinner or order food. Sometimes all I want to do is lay down and unwind. Unfortunately, my growling stomach usually interrupts. This is what happened yesterday. So I searched my fridge for food that required little to no preparation and lucky for me, hiding at the back of my fridge, was a package of kelp noodles.
Have you ever had kelp noodles? They’re fantastic and take absolutely no preparation to eat. Their texture is crunchy or chewy, depending on how long you let them sit with sauce. I prefer the chewy texture, so I let mine sit for as long as I can resist eating them.
I buy my kelp noodles in Kensington market at Essence of Life Organics, they sell for $5.99 a package. Expensive, but 100% worth it.
Pineapple-Cashew Curried Kelp Noodle with Collard Greens
Sweet and savoury, crunchy, chewy, creamy and down right delicious. Full of texture and flavour, this is an easy and satisfying dinner to throw together in a heartbeat.
- 1 pkg kelp noodles
- water for soaking noodles
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable broth or more pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple, cubed
- 2 tbsp cashews, chopped
- Rinse kelp noodles and place in bowl. Cover noodles with cold water and let soak.
- Meanwhile, add cashew butter, garlic, pineapple juice, water, curry powder and potato starch to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a sauce pan and heat over medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat as soon as it begins to thicken (should take 2-3 minutes) and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Drain kelp noodles and mix in bowl with sauce. Stir well so all noodles are covered. Let sit.
- Wash and remove stems from collard greens. Slice into strips.
- Cook collard greens in 1-2 tbsp of vegetable broth or pineapple juice until they’re wilted.
- Mix noodles with collard greens, top with cubed pineapple and sprinkle with chopped cashews.
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Gluten-Free Fridays, Wellness Weekend and Real Food Wednesdays.
I love the color contrast! 🙂 Got this tweeted and pinned. Thanks for linking up at Gluten Free Fridays!
Kelp noodles are a staple in our home, and I’m so excited to have another way to enjoy them! This recipe sounds so tasty! Thanks!!
Pingback: VEGGIE PAD SEW NOODLES- Vegan & Gluten-Free | Sift, Stir & Savour
Pingback: 5-MINUTE VEGGIE SPAGHETTI- Vegan, Grain-Free & Oil-Free | Sift, Stir & Savour
We love kelp noodles and my husband is a huge fan of cashew sauces (as am I) and he loves pineapple, so I can’t wait to try this!