I love chocolate and I love lentils. So why not put them and enjoy them for breakfast?
Maybe because it sounds super weird and kind of gross? Well try them before you judge them! When red lentils cook they loose their shape and turn into a porridge-like consistency. Cover up their flavour with rich cacao powder, enhance the creaminess by adding some nut butter and top with cacao nibs for some texture and you’ve got a decadent breakfast that will keep you full for longer. Enjoying this dish for breakfast will also help keep your blood sugar levels in check when you eat lunch! I’m serious! Check out this video about the power of beans and legumes 🙂
And if you get addicted to having lentils for breakfast like I have, here’s a list of my other lentil breakfast creations:
Grain-Free Black Forest Porridge
Grain-Free Cinnamon Raisin “Oatmeal”
Grain-Free Peanut Butter Banana Porridge
Chocolate Breakfast Lentils
Creamy and chocolatey lentils that will fill your belly and stabilize your blood sugar for hours. The perfect decadent treat to start your day off on the right foot!
- 1/4 cup dry red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao (or cocoa) powder
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- 4-6 drops liquid chocolate stevia
- 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs (or chocolate chips)
- Add lentils and water to a small sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low and let cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the almond butter and mix until the almond butter melts in completely.
- Add the cacao powder, ground flax seeds and stevia. Mix until well combined.
- Top with cacao nibs and enjoy!
*NOTE: If you prefer a thicker porridge, add 1 tbsp whole chia seeds instead of ground flax seeds.
You Might Also Like:
Oh my goodness, this is so creative! I would love to try this. I need to find some chocolate stevia. Great recipe!
You could use plain stevia if you have it. I just find my chocolate stevia doesn’t have the after taste that my regular stevia has 🙂
Mm yummy! I have to try this sometime!
This sounds really interesting — I have a red lentil soup that I love, so why not add chocolate to it? 🙂
You’ve reminded me that I pinned your cinnamon-raisin “oatmeal” but haven’t got round to trying it yet. Now I don’t know which to try first!
Chocolate usually trumps everything for me 🙂
Interesting combo, I must try it!
Now this has me thinking about a red lentil Brownie. Up for the challenge?
Oh, that is brilliant! I wonder…hmm…I feel the need to run immediately to the kitchen and see what I can come up with 🙂