I never really liked bacon, but every once in a while I would crave it. I developed such a craving when I created my Maple “Bacon” Cupcakes. For this recipe though I used the Happy Herbivore recipe for “bacon” bits. When I recently became fixated on having a bacon treat I decided I would make my own “bacon” recipe.
And I’m pleased to say it was delicious!
First I toasted the sunflower seeds:
And then I added all the sugar & spice and everything nice 🙂
Yes, it was that easy! Literally in 5 minutes you get the healthiest darn “bacon” bits you could imagine- tasty too!
Healthy Sunflower Seed “Bacon” Bits
All of the crunch, smokiness and flavour of bacon without all of the saturated fat and preservatives!
Serves 3 (2 tbsp per serving)
- 6 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (depending on preference)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (or other gluten-free soy sauce alternative)
- Add sunflower seeds to a frying pan and toast them over medium heat. Make sure to stir them frequently to prevent sticking and/or burning.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until all of the sunflower seeds are coated.
- Continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until desired crunch is achieved.
- Remove from heat and let cool in a single layer (I spread mine out over parchment paper).
- Enjoy them as is or add them to salads, pastas or even desserts!
Come back tomorrow and see what delicious Father’s Day treat I created with these beauties 🙂
You Might Also Like: