I don’t know about you, but the days following a big holiday dinner by body craves lots of salad and fruit. Sometimes my fruit craving is a bit more complicated than just biting into a fresh apple though. Sometimes I want that fresh apple to be slightly cooked, covered in spices and sprinkled in granola…aka apple crisp…aka dessert…aka what I ate too much of during the holidays.
Luckily, this apple crisp is healthy enough to enjoy anytime. Fresh apples, oats, cinnamon, almond butter, maple syrup, almond milk and coconut sugar, oh my! Heck you could even enjoy this for breakfast 🙂
Healthy Apple Crisp
Soft apples, fragrant cinnamon and a cookie-like oat topping make this a dessert worthy of any occasion!
- 4 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Add apples to the baking dish, sprinkle with cinnamon and toss until all the apple chunks are coated.
- In a small bowl cream together almond butter, non-dairy milk and maple syrup. Add the oats, oat flour and coconut sugar and mix until combined.
- Drop the oat mixture on top of the apples and gently press it down.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the apples have released some juice and that juice is bubbling. The oat topping should also be slightly browned and crispy to the touch.
- Let cool for a few minutes, or serve immediately. Top with a dollop of non-dairy ice cream or yogurt and enjoy!
In other news, I was recently made aware of THIS great article that has a bunch of homemade treats for dogs. I haven’t tried any since Wayne is allergic to turkey, beef and dairy but the Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins with Sweet Potato Icing looks interesting. Maybe when he’s a bit older I’ll give it a try. Do you have a dog? Do you make homemade treats? Leave a comment about your pups favourite homemade treat!
You May Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Gluten-Free Fridays.
This is making my mouth water – I’d love a piece with a scoop of ice cream!
Apple crisp is my “go to” dessert for company. I usually use brown sugar, but I like your sugar-free version. I will try it next time.
Pingback: Minimal Ingredient Mondays: Chocolate Maca Cookies, Cranberry Jam Tarts and Chunky Monkey Bites | Sift, Stir & Savour
I LOVE apple crisp, your recipe looks great! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! 🙂
Hope your week is great! Can’t wait to see what you link up this week!
Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com