In the middle of October I went apple picking with my mom and uncle. It was the first time I’d been apple picking in a very, VERY long time. I had a blast and picked my bushel of apples in about 10-15 minutes. When I get excited about something I usually get very excited and move at an unusually quick rate. Obviously apple picking was no different. Unfortunately this excitement about the apples fizzled out quickly and I didn’t bake with the apples for a few weeks after picking. But now that I’ve started baking with them, I can’t stop! Cookies, breads, crisps, pies and of course, MUFFINS!!!
I’m sure I’ve mentioned before my love for anything with a crumble topping. The crispness, the sweetness, the contact of texture it creates, mmm yes, love it all. The crumble on these muffins turns them from a yummy muffin to an insanely delicious and satisfying muffin. Seriously, I ate them as dessert…and breakfast…and snack. Basically I ate them every chance I got! I even made them in two different sizes so if I was only a little hungry I could still enjoy one 🙂
Healthy Apple Crumble Muffins
Moist, healthy and soft apple muffins topped with an apple peanut butter crumble topping.
Makes 12 large or 24 small muffins
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water (let sit 5 minutes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp apple butter (or more peanut butter)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with liners (I use silicone liners).
- In a medium bowl mix together the first 10 muffin ingredients (dry ingredients).
- In a second and larger bowl mix together the remaining muffin ingredients (wet ingredients) and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Portion into lined muffin tin.
- Mix all of the crumble topping ingredients together and cover the top of each muffin with the crumble.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If you’re using a small muffin tin only bake the muffins for 12-15 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool completely before removing from muffin liners.
You May Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Healthy Vegan Fridays.