Sometimes I am overcome with a craving for a melty, cheesy sandwich. I don’t think I’m alone with this craving either. On a chilly weekend afternoon, who doesn’t want a gooey, melty, soul-hugging sandwich?
Now, don’t let the above photo fool you- that is the sandwich before it’s second grill. And yes, it’s the second grill that makes this sandwich outstanding. I first grilled the sandwich with just the non-dairy cheese. Once it was melted I pulled the sandwich apart, added the olives and sautéed mushrooms, added a little more non-dairy cheese and then put it back in the pan for more melty goodness. Well, now that I’ve told you how to make it, I guess I should give you the ingredients 🙂
Portobello Kalamata Grilled “Cheese” Sandwich
Hearty portobello mushroom slices, salty kalamata olives and melty non-dairy cheese make the ultimate comfort food sandwich.
- 2 pieces gluten-free bread
- Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/2 portobello mushroom, sliced
- 4 pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 3-4 tbsp non-dairy cheese (I used Daiya)
- Add sliced portobello mushroom to a frying pan with a splash of water (to prevent sticking) and cook over medium heat until the mushroom slices release water and that water evaporates. This should take 5-7 minutes. Set mushrooms aside.
- Gently spread Earth Balance over one side of each piece of toast. Lay one piece of toast, Earth Balance side down, in a frying pan. Top with 1/2 the non-dairy cheese and place the other piece of toast, Earth Balance side up.
- Cook the sandwich over medium-low heat until the cheese begins to melt, flipping the sandwich after about 3-4 minutes.
- Once the non-dairy cheese begins to melt, pull the sandwich open and add the sautéed mushroom slices and sliced olives to one half of the sandwich. Add the rest of the non-dairy cheese on top of the veggies and close the sandwich with the other piece of bread.
- Place the sandwich back in the frying pan, cover with a pot lid and cook for 3-5 more minutes until all the non-dairy cheese melts.
You May Also Like: