I have been trying to create a recipe for chocolate cupcakes for months. I wish I was exaggerating when I say that this was literally my 6th attempt. Thankfully this batch didn’t just turn out, they were perfect!
I like these cupcakes just as they are, but my partner didn’t think they were sweet enough. What can I say, he’s still getting used to my perception of sweet! Feel free to increase the coconut sugar amount or add some powdered stevia to make these cupcakes as sweet as you’d like. But remember, a less sweet cupcake will balance well with a sweet icing!
I decorated this batch of cupcakes for a friend of mine. She was attending a celebration for her mother, who recently completed chemotherapy for breast cancer, and wanted to bring along some appropriately themed cupcakes. Make cupcakes look like breasts? Sure, I can give that a try 🙂
On a side note: there is a 5K run in Toronto next weekend for breast cancer awareness (Run for the Cure). My friend and a group of individuals (including me) are participating in the race. I don’t think I ever really completed my donations page properly, but if you’d like to make a donation here’s the link to my friends page. I haven’t met my friends mother yet, but from what I’ve heard she is a remarkable woman: intelligent, strong, funny and loving. Oh, and a complete inspiration. Even though she has recently completed chemo-therapy, she’s participating in the 5K. Now THAT is an amazing woman! I’m very honoured to be able to participate in this event with such a radiant group.
Breast Cancer Awareness Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from She Let Them Eat Cake.
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, divided
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a small cup mix together the apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of the non-dairy milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together coconut sugar and unsweetened applesauce. Once the coconut sugar has melted and the mixture looks uniform, stir in the vanilla extract and remaining 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk.
- In a separate bowl mix together brown rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium husk, sea salt and cocoa powder.
- By now the apple cider vinegar and non-dairy milk should have curdled slightly. Add the curdled mixture into the wet ingredients bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the lined cupcake pan and bake for 20-23 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before topping with favourite frosting and indulging.
You Might Also Like:
Pingback: CHOCOLATE BREAKFAST LENTILS- Vegan, Grain-Free & Refined Sugar-Free | Sift, Stir & Savour