Waffles are one of my favourite breakfast treats. I have tried to make oil-free waffles multiple times before and they never turned out. The batter would look lovely but because of the lack of fat in the recipe the waffle would stick to the waffle iron and I would end up with waffle crumbs. Delicious over ice cream but not ideal for breakfast. And then I remembered the magic of nut butters! They add fat so the waffle won’t stick but they also add protein, vitamins and minerals.
I’m sure it comes as no surprise that the first nut butter I thought to add was peanut butter. And once the peanut butter was out, I was reaching for chocolate chips without even realizing it. My love for peanut butter and chocolate is that strong 🙂 If you can’t have peanuts feel free to substitute sunflower seed butter instead.
These waffles are so naturally sweet and yummy that I ate mine without any topping at all. They would definitely be over the top though with a drizzle of maple syrup or a spoonful of peanut butter with a drizzle of chocolate. Oh wait, no, they would be OVER the top with a scoop of non-dairy ice cream on top. Yes, that is how I need to eat these the next time I make them!
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Waffles
Peanut butter and chocolate meet again in these decadent soft yet crispy waffles. Serve them for breakfast or top with non-dairy ice cream for a satisfying dessert.
Serves 2 (two waffles each)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Plug in waffle iron and pre-heat.
- In a small cup mix together ground flax seeds and water. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl cream together peanut butter, non-dairy milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flax and water mixture.
- Add oat flour and baking soda and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Once waffle iron is hot enough, pour a heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto it. Let it cook until waffle iron beeps that it is done and remove.
- Continue step 7 until all of the batter is used up.
- Top with maple syrup, peanut butter, chocolate sauce, non-dairy ice cream or whatever your heart desires.
You Might Also Like: