This summer was the first time I grew my own vegetables and herbs. In my backyard I have a tomato and a bell pepper plant as well as mint, basil, sage and chives. A cute little home garden. My mom, on the other hand, has an epic vegetable garden with tomatoes, carrots, peppers, garlic, onions, cherry tomatoes and zucchini, lots and lots of zucchini. So much zucchini that whenever I see her she gives me a bunch of it. This isn’t any old zucchini either, some of the zucchini’s I’ve gotten are massive…the size of my forearm massive. So, what’s a girl to do with all that zucchini?
Bake zucchini bread!
Not just any zucchini loaf though! This loaf is jam packed with raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips and of course, zucchini. With so many flavours and textures, this loaf is addictive beyond belief. I think it only lasted a day and a half in my house 🙂 Not bad seeing that there’s only two of us!
I love baking this kind of bread because no yeast is needed. I’m terrible at proofing yeast; sometimes the water is too hot, other times it’s too cold and sometimes my yeast is just old and it doesn’t matter that I finally got the water temperature correct. You won’t come across any of that in this recipe. This recipe has no tricks, just throw all the ingredients together and you’ve got one delicious loaf of addictive goodness.
Healthy Spotted Zucchini Loaf
A loaf sweet enough to serve as desert, but nutritious enough to serve for breakfast.
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, line loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together mashed banana, applesauce, coconut sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well until the coconut sugar begins to melt and the mixture appears uniform.
- In a separate bowl mix together brown rice flour, xanthan gum, starches, spices, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add the contents of the second bowl to the first bowl and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the zucchini, walnuts, raisins and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan for at least 20 minutes before removing it and let the loaf cool completely before slicing into it.
You Might Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe was shared at Gluten-Free Fridays.