If there is one part of summer that I think should be continued all year long it’s definitely s’mores. Crispy graham crackers, melted chocolate and gooey marshmallows. I can’t get enough, ever! And that’s why I just had to add all the goodness of s’mores into a soft, feel-good cookie:
Marshmallows are not naturally vegan because gelatin, which is made from the bones of animals, is a main ingredient. There are a variety of vegan brands available though. Health food stores are your best bet for finding them, but be warned they are not cheap like regular marshmallows. I think they’re worth the cost though and if you hold the two ingredients lists next to each other, you may also agree! If store bought marshmallows aren’t your thing, there are tones of delicious homemade marshmallow recipes out there. I haven’t tried to make my own yet, but here are two recipes that I’ve bookmarked to give a try when I’m up for the real deal:
Whether you buy marshmallows or make your own, they definitely make these cookies over the top! Ooey, gooey, messy goodness. Yeah, messy. If a marshmallow piece is on the bottom of the cookie it will melt and gently stick to the cookie sheet. To ensure your cookies make it off the cookie sheet in one piece let them cool for 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving them to a cookie rack. Here’s a big s’mores cookie I started to eat right off the cookie sheet:
What can I say? I couldn’t help myself!
Vegan S’Mores Cookies
The most delicious way to experience s’mores all year long. No camp fire required 🙂
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup erythritol (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vegan marshmallows
- 1/2 cup gluten-free graham crackers, broken into pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Add rice flour, starches, baking soda, xanthan gum and sea salt to a small bowl and mix until combined.
- In a second bowl cream together erythritol, coconut sugar, almond butter and applesauce until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the non-dairy milk and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring until a dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips, marshmallows and graham cracker pieces. Pinch the dough to form balls and place the balls of dough on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten to desired thickness. Note: the cookies do not spread when they cook.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Grab a glass of non-dairy milk and start dipping!
You Might Also Like:
UPDATED! This recipe was shared at Gluten-Free Fridays.