Is it still strawberry season? I have no idea. All I know is I saw strawberries on sale in the store yesterday and made a mental note to post this recipe ASAP before the strawberries went into hibernation.
These squares are the perfect summer treat. A sweet nutty crust topped with creamy strawberry goodness. They’re refreshing and decadent.
I am still pleasantly surprised with how well these bars stayed together. I’ve had far too many experiences of biting into a dessert, only to be wearing it a moment later! Not with these bars though. These bars are made to be picked up and enjoyed 🙂
Healthy Strawberries & Cream Squares
Filled with vitamin C, protein and healthy fat, these squares are a dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth and your growling tummy!
- 2 cups ground almonds (or almond meal)
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup Mori-Nu firm tofu
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare the crust first by mixing together all of the crust ingredients until well combined. If it appears too dry at the beginning, keep stirring, the almonds will release their oils as you stir.
- Press the crust into the lined pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking add all of the filling ingredients into a high power blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the filling on top of the cooked crust, spread evenly over crust and bake for 35-37 more minutes. The top should be slightly browned and appear set (not giggling when slightly shaken).
- Let cool completely and then let chill in the fridge for an extra 1-2 hours before cutting.
You Might Also Like: