As the air begins to feel a bit like summer my craving for traditional summer foods have followed suit. There aren’t many things that are better than a cold scoop of non-dairy ice cream on a hot summers day, unless of course that ice cream is served banana split style. A sweet banana topped with strawberry, vanilla and chocolate ice cream, all drizzled with chocolate and pineapple sauce and sprinkled with crunchy nuts. Heaven, sweet, sweet summer heaven. But it’s not summer yet and in the absence of the blistering heat I find myself wanting the banana split flavour without the brain-freeze inducing ice cream.
And I’ve accomplished exactly that. Mouth watering banana bread, spotted with chunks of strawberries, dark and white chocolate and waluts, and smothered in a pineapple glaze before being sprinkled with shredded coconut.
Banana Split Dessert Loaf
All of the flavours of summer baked into your loaf pan. For an extra special treat, serve this loaf with a scoop of your favourite ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup white sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup dairy-free white chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries, tossed in 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line loaf pan with parchment paper (lightly greasing the edges not covered by the paper).
- Mix together all of the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the stir-in ingredients and add batter to the loaf pan.
- Bake loaf for 45 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let loaf cool before removing from pan.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by blending diced pineapple with water in a blender until smooth (a few small pineapple chunks is fine too).
- Add the pineapple mixture to a small sauce pan and whisk in starch. Heat over medium heat, while whisking frequently, until the mixture begins to thicken (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes before brushing the cooled loaf with it. Then sprinkle the loaf with the shredded coconut.
- Slice the loaf and bask in the flavours of summer!
I am very excited that this recipe is a part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck (a GLOBAL potluck party)! Follow the links below to navigate through the potluck and see all of the delicious recipes other bloggers from around the world have created!
To visit the blog that precedes mine in the Potluck, click here!
To visit the blog that follows mine in the Potluck, click here!
To start at the beginning of the Potluck, click here!
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tried and True Recipes, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Meatless Mondays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Tasty Traditions, Try a New Recipe Tuesday, Make Your Own Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays and Wonderful Food Wednesdays.