Leftovers- some people love them, while others hate them. I personally like them. I like them because I frequently use them to create another dish with. For example, the other day I made a full batch of my Garlic Mac and “Cheese”. I knew I wouldn’t want to eat left over mac and cheese though, so I only cooked one portion of pasta and saved the left over “cheese” sauce. The next day when I looked in my fridge I found black beans and cooked red rice (in addition to my left over “cheese” sauce). A bit deeper in my fridge I found a jar of salsa. Mmmm, salsa! So I threw it all together, added a few extras and came up with this delicious and satisfying meal:
Super Healthy Tex Mex Rice Bowl
This cheesy and spicy rice bowl makes a nutritious meal that’s easy to pack and eat on the go!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 cups cooked red rice (or brown rice)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup “cheese” sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Add diced onion to a frying pan with a splash of water or vegetable broth. Saute for 1 minute and then add minced garlic. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the broccoli and cook just until the broccoli begins to turn brighter green.
- Add the corn, rice, beans, “cheese” sauce and salsa and continue to cook until the dish is heated throughout.
- Grab a fork and dig right in!