It’s that time again! What I Ate Wednesday…or in my case, Sunday. My day started off with a banana before heading to the gym for a spin class, after which I savoured a Multi-Grain Sunshine Bar (recipe to follow) for breakfast. Within a couple hours of eating breakfast I was hungry again so I baked a potato, topped it with some shredded vegan cheese, salsa and nutritional yeast and paired it with raw cauliflower for lunch:
After lunch I did some grocery shopping and then prepped some food for the week. I like to soak and cook beans, cook some grains and wash and cut a bunch of veggies. For me, preparation is key. If I don’t have a variety of healthy food ready and waiting for me in my fridge, all bets are off. It does take me a couple hours to prep food for the week, but I figure it’s a couple hours well spent. Prepped food means I will eat what makes me feel good and have the energy to accomplish whatever I desire. After all my prepping I was hungry again, so I threw together an Apple Snack Bowl. It consisted of a small sliced gala apple, 1/2 cup almond milk yogurt, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, 1/2 tbsp almond butter, 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon:
After my snack it was time for more shopping, but this time for rain boots. I really don’t like shopping, unless it’s for food or cooking supplies, so I’ve been putting off rain boot shopping for weeks. Finally motivated by the rainy weather forecast, I was on a mission! Luckily I found a pair at the first store I went to, awesome!
Then it was time for snack # 2: Peanut Butter Banana Cereal Bowl: 1 mashed banana, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, 2 tbsp raisins, 1 cup gluten-free and fruit juice sweetened corn flakes.
And then my day went downhill. My shoulder- which I injured years ago, started to act up and I got a major headache from the tightening muscles. Uggg. I drank some ginger tea and retired to the couch for a nap. I didn’t feel much better after my nap so I did some gentle stretching and went back to the couch. I wasn’t feeling hungry because of the pain, but I managed to get down a baked sweet potato. Eventually I gave up on the day and went to sleep for the night early, really early…9:30 PM early. For the record, when I woke the next morning I felt back to normal 🙂
Now, onto the good stuff. That Multi-Grain Sunshine Bar I mentioned I ate for breakfast, well here it is:
Multi-Grain Sunshine Bars
Soft granola bar with bright citrus flavours, chewy apricots and crunchy macadamia nuts.
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup millet flakes
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat bran
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp coconut nectar (any liquid sweetener should work)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 11 x 7 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix ground flax seeds and water together and let sit.
- In a large bowl mix together quinoa, millet and oat flakes. Stir in the oat flour, bran, cinnamon and zests.
- Add the coconut nectar, vanilla extract, applesauce and flax/water mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the dried apricots, shredded coconut and macadamia nuts.
- Transfer the mixture into the lined baking dish, spreading it evenly and smoothing the top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges brown slightly.
- Let cool completely before cutting. These bars will stay good for a few days in an airtight container. They also freeze well for later enjoyment.
You May Also Like: