The day I figured out how to make Peanut-Free Tagalong Cookies was a beautiful day.
The day I figured out that I could turn that recipe into Do-Si-Do Cookies was even better!
Peanut-Free Do-Si-Do Cookies
Sweet and creamy sunflower seed frosting sandwiched between two crispy almond cookies. Another delicious Girl-Scout cookie made healthy!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar (any liquid sweeter should work)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- dash sea salt
- 3 tbsp unsweetened sunflower seed butter
- 1/3 cup powdered coconut sugar**
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- First, create the cookie by mixing together all of the cookie ingredients and stirring well. It may seem like there is not enough liquid, keep stirring, the almonds will begin to release their oils and this will make the batter moist enough. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll out to approximately 1/4 inch thickness and use a circle cookie cutter (or a small glass) to cut the dough into circles.
- Place cut dough on the parchment lined baking sheet and chill for 15 more minutes.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Let cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack for complete cooling.
- While the cookies cool, prepare the frosting by beating (with electric hand mixer) together the frosting ingredients until thick. It will also be slightly sticky.
- After the cookies have cooled completely frost half of them, making sure to spread the frosting to the edges.
- Complete the cookies by placing a plain cookie on top of a frosted cookie.
- Grab some non-dairy milk and enjoy!
**to powder coconut sugar, simply add it to a high-powdered blender for a few seconds. You can add up to 1 tbsp tapioca starch to give it a more traditional icing/powdered sugar texture.
Now THAT’S a cookie! Mmm, cookies…
Calories: 85 Fat: 5.7 g (0.5 g Saturated), Carbohydrates: 7.2 g, Fiber: 1.4 g, Sugar: 5 g, Protein: 2.4 g
Nutritional information based on serving size of 1 cookie (1/12th of recipe) made with coconut sugar and coconut nectar. Nutritional information was calculated using this.
You May Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Food Fridays, 5 Ingredient Mondays, Make Your Own Monday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Whole Food Friday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Wellness Weekend, Real Food Wednesdays and Fat Tuesday.