Ever since I realized I could make a breakfast porridge out of lentils, I’ve been hooked. I’ve been working on a number of flavour combinations and this is by far my favourite:
Peanut butter and banana. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and savoury. The banana adds an extra creamy goodness as well as sweetness, and the peanut butter? It’s got the crunch and the decedent fatty taste.
The other amazing part of this breakfast is the price. I bought a big bag of red lentils for $1.25. Do you know how many servings that is for only $1.25??? I sure don’t, because it’s too many to count!
Grain-Free Peanut Butter Banana Porridge
Creamy and protein packed breakfast porridge. The perfect combination of sweet bananas and savoury peanut butter.
- 1/4 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (I used crunchy)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (or whole chia seeds, if you prefer a thicker porridge)
- dash of cinnamon
- Add lentils, water, and sliced banana to a small sauce pan. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the lentils and banana are soft. Remove from heat.
- Add ground flax seed, peanut butter and non-diary milk and stir until combined.
- Pour into serving dish and let sit for 5-10 minutes. The flax seeds will absorb any extra liquid and thicken the porridge.
- Top with a dash of cinnamon, grab a spoon and dig in!
Calories: 358.5 Fat: 12 g (2 g saturated), Carbohydrates: 51.6 g, Fiber: 14.5 g, Sugar: 13.8 g, Protein: 16.4 g
Nutritional information is based on serving size of entire recipe using ground flax seeds. Nutritional information was calculated using this.
You May Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Fat Tuesday, Simple Meals Friday, Real Food Wednesdays, Whole Foods Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Simple Lives Thursday, Tuesday Greens and Make Your Own Monday.