Earlier this week I was in a training session for work. Some food was served, including fresh fruit and muffins…mmm, muffins. Sweet, fluffy, moist muffins. I love muffins so much that I was highly distracted throughout the training by thoughts of baking muffins. I wish I was kidding. Even though I, not surprisingly, demolished a bunch of the fresh fruit, those muffins were still staring at me, taunting me. Jokes on them though, because as soon as I got home, you guessed it, I baked muffins.
And not just any muffins!
CARROT CAKE MUFFINS!!! Although I don’t know what was in the muffins at the training, I can only presume they were full of white flour, refined sugar and oil- especially considering the oily residue they left on the napkins, yuck! Not the ones I made when I got home though, nope, these muffins have the delicious flavour and texture I was craving without all the junk!
Carrot Cake Muffins
Sweet and moist carrot muffins spotted with crunchy walnuts and chewy raisins. The perfect afternoon snack!
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar (any liquid sweetener will work)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup peeled and grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Pre-heat oven to 365 degrees. Line muffin tin with liners.
- In a medium bowl mix together chickpea flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, sea salt, and spices.
- In a second bowl cream together coconut sugar, applesauce, coconut nectar, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the contents of the first bowl to the second bowl and mix until combined.
- Fold in the grated carrot, chopped walnuts and raisins.
- Portion batter into lined muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top of the muffins are golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and then dig in!
Calories: 159 Fat: 6 g (0.5 g saturated), Carbohydrates: 25 g, Fiber: 2.5 g, Sugar: 14 g, Protein: 3.6 g
Nutritional information is based on serving size of 1 muffin, 1/8th of recipe. Nutritional information was calculated using this.
You Might Also Like:
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Make Your Own! Monday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Thank Your Body Thursday, Fat Tuesday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Tasty Traditions, Gluten-Free Fridays, Healthy 2Day Wednesdays, Natural Living Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays and Tasteful Tuesdays.