Every month at work we have a potluck lunch. This month the theme was “comfort foods”. My mind went blank, I couldn’t think of anything! I searched for ideas via the internet and came across many recipes for shepherds pie. Having never tried shepherds pie before (or at least that I can remember) I thought it sounded like a delicious challenge.
And delicious it was!
A savoury lentil filling topped with creamy mashed potato. Comfort food at its best!
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 5 medium russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp unsweetened original almond milk
- 2 tbsp gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- up to 2 cups mushrooms, chopped (depending on amount of mushrooms in gravy)
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 cups of mushroom gravy, I used the recipe from this book
- Add dried lentils to a small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, wash and chop potatoes into cubes. Add to a medium sized pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes and lentils are cooking, heat vegetable broth in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until mushrooms are cooked throughout. Add the cooked lentils and remove from heat.
- Prepare mushroom gravy according to instructions of whatever recipe you’re using.
- Pour the lentil/veggie mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Next pour the mushroom gravy over the lentil/veggie mixture and gently stir it.
- Using a potato masher*, mash the potatoes and almond milk until desired texture is achieved. Spoon the potatoes on top of the mushroom gravy.
- Serve immediately.
*I blended my potatoes in my Vitamix and they came out very, very creamy. If you’ve got a high powered blender, feel free to try “mashing” the potatoes this way but exclude the almond milk or they’ll be way too runny.
Mmmm, just look at that creamy spoonful of goodness:
Calories: 237.5, Fat: 1.8 g (0.4 g saturated), Carbohydrates: 45.5 g, Fiber: 8.7 g, Sugar: 2 g, Protein: 14 g
Nutritional Information based on serving size of 1/8th of recipe, using linked gravy recipe and the full 2 cups of mushrooms. Nutritional information was calculated using this.