A Tim Horton’s opened up next to where I work. I walk past it at least twice a day and every time I do memories of their banana nut muffins dance through my head. It wasn’t long before I was craving muffins on a daily basis, so I did what I do whenever I get a craving for a food I can’t have anymore…
Banana Nut Muffins
Moist banana muffins spotted with crunchy walnuts. These gems aren’t only filled with two different fruits, they’re made with whole grain flours too!
- 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 6 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- optional- up to 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or any granulated sugar)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tin with liners.
- In a medium bowl cream together banana, applesauce, maple syrup, unsweetened non-dairy milk, coconut sugar (if using), ground flax seeds and apple cider vinegar.
- In a second bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and spices.
- Add the contents of the second bowl into the first bowl and mix until combined.
- Fold in walnuts and evenly divide among muffin tin.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Mmm, look at that perfect muffin texture!!!
Calories: 173, Fat: 4.6g (0.5g saturated), Carbohydrates: 32g, Fiber: 1.6g, Sugar: 7.3g, Protein: 4.5g
Nutritional information based on serving size of 1 muffin and without the addition of coconut sugar or any other granulated sugar. Nutritional information was calculated using this.