Do you get enough protein? I know I do. If you’re worried about your protein intake though, the best way to make sure you get enough is to eat a variety of plant-based foods. Did you know that spinach has more protein than beef? Calorie for calorie of course, but not something you hear very much about. That’s because the beef industry has more money for marketing than spinach farmers do, not because it’s not true. Seriously, don’t listen to marketing, it stinks.
Do you know what doesn’t stink? This salad:
Kale Protein Salad
Colourful and delicious, this salad is packed with vitamins, minerals, complex carbohydrates and yes, protein. Make it the night before and you’ve got a great lunch!
- 4 large kale leaves, stem removed and sliced into strips
- 1 tsp flax oil
- 3/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup tofu, cubed*
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos (or other gluten-free soy substitute)
- 1/2- 1 tsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Massage kale with flax oil and set aside.
- In a small dish mix together apple cider vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos, sriracha, lemon juice, mustard powder and garlic powder.
- Add broccoli, tomato, tofu, black beans and quinoa to the kale.
- Drizzle with dressing (step 2) and either enjoy right away or let it sit overnight in the fridge.
* I like to press my tofu overnight, slice it into strips, marinate it in a combination of Bragg Liquid Aminos, coriander and water and then grill it.