When my brother was in elementary school he came home with a recipe for “muffins that taste like donuts”. I don’t really know why, nor do I care. All I know is that they were delicious. So delicious that when I came across the recipe while looking through a pile of my moms recipes, I just knew I had to re-create them. And re-create them I did:
Sweet, moist muffins dipped in buttery goodness and sprinkled with crunchy cinnamon sugar. All the best parts of a donut without the saturated fat, refined sugars and empty calories.
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup erithritol (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replace mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/4 cup organic evaporated cane juice (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin.
- Mix together brown rice flour, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a second bowl, mix together applesauce, erithritol (or sugar of choice), Ener-G Egg Replace mixed with water and non-dairy milk.
- Add the contents of bowl 2 into the first bowl and mix until combined.
- Divide among lined muffins tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes while you mix together the organic evaporated cane juice and cinnamon.
- Dip the tops of the muffins in the melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread and then into the cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Let completely cool and enjoy!
UPDATE!!! This recipe has been shared on The Veggie Nook’s Healthy Vegan Friday. Check it out here! It’s also been submitted to Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Meatless Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Wonderful Food Wednesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays here , Foodie Friday, Tasteful Tuesdays, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Try a New Recipe Tuesdays and Gluten-Free Fridays.