It was a cold and windy Saturday afternoon when I had a craving for a delicious bowl of goodness from one of my favourite restaurants, Fresh. I was too lazy to head over and pick something up, but I wasn’t too lazy to develop my own bowl of goodness. And this is what I came up with:
Ginger-Soy Rice Bowl
Fragrant basmati rice paired with crunchy veggies, soft edamame and drizzled with a tangy, spicy dressing. Refreshment in every bite.
- 1/4 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/2- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp yellow miso
- 1/2- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 1 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos (or any gluten-free soy sauce substitute)
- 2 tsp gluten-free rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp flax oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Add 1/2 cup water, basmati rice, yello miso, grated ginger, diced onion and minced garlic to a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until a boil is reached. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes and if more water is needed, add an extra 1/4 cup.
- If using frozen shelled edamame, add it to the rice when it has 2-3 minutes left of cooking time.
- Mix together dressing by whisking Bragg Liquid Aminos, rice vinegar, sriracha hot sauce and flax oil together.
- Add shredded carrot and zucchini to serving bowl, along with the cooked rice and edamame mixture.
- Drizzle dressing (step 4) over top and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Allergy Free Wednesdays here, Wellness Weekend here, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Simple Meals Friday, Tasty Traditions, Whole Food Fridays, Potluck Party, Mostly Homemade Mondays and Tuesday Greens.
Ok, I’m SO GLAD you came to my blog so I could discover yours! My blog is also vegan and many gluten-free and oil-free recipes! I’m already drooling over so many of your recipes I want to make, especially this one. I can’t wait!! I need to get the ginger and miso, but will try making this weekend. My hubby can’t eat edamame, what would you suggest subbing with? Thank you 🙂
I love finding new blogs and drooling over them! I’m very pleased we’ve found each others. In terms of switching out the edamame, my first thought was to try adzuki beans as they would add a nice hint of sweetness. Let me know how it goes on the weekend and what you end up substituting with!
Thank you Erin! I’m making this tomorrow!! 🙂
This sounds fantastic – I could eat this for breakfast!
I love “meal-in-a-bowl” dishes, and anything with sriracha has my vote! This looks great. Thanks so much for sharing at Wellness Weekend this week, too! 🙂
Pingback: VEGGIE “FRIED” RICE- Vegan, Gluten-Free & Oil-Free | Sift, Stir & Savour
Sounds tasty! I’m aching to cook with some miso, and this is a great opportunity.
Pingback: SUSHI RICE SALAD- Vegan, Gluten-Free & Sugar-Free | Sift, Stir & Savour