It’s almost New Years Eve and do you know what that means? It means it’s a fantastic reason to make cupcakes! Not just any cupcakes though…special cupcakes. You know the ones I mean. Those cupcakes that take a little extra care in their preparation. Those cupcakes that everyone always asks you to make. Those cupcakes that when you bite into them you wish you had made a double batch so you could eat 12 in a row…
Well these cupcakes fall into that category, and I can’t think of a better time to make them than for New Years Eve.
Caramel Corn Cupcakes
Soft corn cakes smothered in creamy frosting and topped with crunchy caramel corn goodness. Make a double batch, because these tasty little treats will be devoured in a matter of minutes!
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup fine ground corn meal
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup soy milk powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened original almond milk
Caramel Corn Ingredients:
- 3-4 cups popped popcorn
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cupcake tray with liners.
- First make the cupcakes by whisking together chickpea flour, starches, corn meal, xanthan gum, baking powder and sea salt in a bowl.
- In a second bowl combine coconut sugar, applesauce, almond milk and Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with water.
- Add the contents of the first bowl into the second bowl and stir until combined.
- Divide among cupcake tray and bake for 22-27 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean.
- Let cool on baking rack while you prepare the caramel corn by turning oven down to 250 degrees and lining baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt Earth Balance Buttery Spread in a small sauce pan over medium heat and add the brown sugar, brown rice syrup and sea salt. Cook, while stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla and pour over pop corn. Mix until all pop corn is covered.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until caramel corn is no longer sticky and feels hard to the touch. Turn the caramel corn at least once while it bakes.
- Let the caramel corn cool on the baking sheet while you whip together the frosting by creaming together Earth Balance Buttery Spread and brown rice syrup with electric mixers.
- Gradually add the soy milk powder and powdered sugar, followed by the vanilla extract and almond milk.
- Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes before icing the cupcakes.
- Break the caramel corn into small chunks and top cupcake with 1-2 pieces, after the cupcake has been iced.
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Simple Sugar and Gluten Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays here, Try a New Recipe Tuesdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Eco-kids Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, All My Bloggy Friends, Tried and True Recipes and Foodie Friday.