I spent this past weekend hanging out with my mom and doing some good old holiday baking. In my family we celebrate Christmas. And Christmas means spending time with family while indulging on sweet treats.
So like any well prepared host, the baking is completed early in the month and frozen until a few days before the festivities. Last year my mom and I worked together to make some of my favourite holiday treats into gluten-free treats, and for the most part, we were successful. This year, however, I decided this wasn’t necessary. Now that I can’t have dairy and try to avoid eggs and white sugar, the recipes weren’t going to be re-created without some trial and error. And the last thing we wanted was error, especially since the purpose of our early baking is to decrease holiday stress.
But just because my mom and I didn’t experiment, doesn’t mean I didn’t as soon as I got home!
Apple Cranberry Crumble Blondies
Moist blondies with sweet apples, tangy cranberries and a fragrant cinnamon crumble topping. Yes please!
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 1 1/2 egg replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1/3 dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (any granulated sugar will work)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together brown rice flour, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.
- In a second bowl add coconut sugar, mixed egg replace, applesauce, grape seed oil and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer, beat until sugar dissolves and oil no longer separates from the mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the second bowl, and stir until combined.
- Fold in apple and cranberries.
- Pour into lined pan and smooth the top, wetting your hands to prevent sticking.
- Prepare the crumble by mixing together the rolled oats, oat flour, cinnamon, coconut sugar and applesauce.
- Crumble evenly over the unbaked blondie and gently push into batter.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cook for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
UPDATE!!! This recipe has been submitted to Healthy Vegan Friday here! It’s also been submitted to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday here, Diet, Wellness Weekend here, Allergy Free Wednesdays here, Gluten Free Fridays here, Full Plate Thursdays, Tried and True Recipes and Eco Kids Tuesdays.