I love all gluten-free grain that are prepared into a porridge: oats, rice, millet, amaranth, quinoa, teff…yup, I love it all. Porridge is so creamy and warm, I honestly don’t know if there is a more comforting food.
So what is teff anyway?
Teff is a tiny grain, in fact, it’s the worlds smallest grain. Although it’s small in size, this Ethiopian native is super-sized in its nutritional profile. And not in the McDonald’s kind of way, yuck! Teff is packed with protein, fiber, iron and calcium, just to name a few. By eating the following recipe you’ll be getting 7 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, 20% of your recommended daily intake of iron and 10% of your recommended daily intake of calcium…and that’s just from the teff!
Peaches & Cream Teff Porridge
Creamy, warm and full of soft, juicy peaches. This porridge has a gentle hint of toffee that makes it reminiscent of a dessert!
- 1/4 cup uncooked teff
- 1 cup water
- 2 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp cashew butter
- English Toffee liquid stevia (I used 3-5 drops)
- 1/2 cup diced peach
- Combine teff, water and dates in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once a boil is reached, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stirring frequently, cook until the teff has thickened into your desired porridge consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in ground flax seed and cashew butter. Mix until the cashew butter has completely dissolved and the texture has become more creamy.
- Add liquid stevia and peaches.
- Pour into serving dish and enjoy!
This is the consistency I like my teff porridge:
Mmm, I think this is why I’m such a morning person! What better way to wake up than to a bowl of this:
UPDATE! This recipe has been submitted to Full Plate Thursdays.