These cupcakes need no introduction:
Just try the recipe, seriously…
Vegan Maple “Bacon” Cupcakes
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tbsp applesauce
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sorghum or brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan “bacon” bits (I used the recipe found in this book)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line cupcake tray.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and unsweetened almond milk together, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together maple syrup, applesauce, oil, extracts, maple sugar. Add almond milk mixture (after 5 minutes) and whisk until combined.
- Sift in sorghum flour, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir until combined and fold in “bacon” bits.
- Divide among cupcake tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and frost with the following recipe:
Maple “Butter-cream” Frosting
Covers 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread (I used the soy-free kind)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1-2 tbsp “bacon” bits for topping
- Cream Earth Balance and maple syrup until smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, continually beating to maintain smooth texture.
- Stir in maple extract.
- Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkle of “bacon” bits.
UPDATE! This recipe has been shared at Gluten Free Fridays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Try a New Recipe Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Wonderful Food Wednesdays, Tasty Traditions, Tasteful Tuesdays and Mostly Homemade Mondays.